Drainage construction all year around
For many of you who travel 23rd Avenue, you will have noticed (and are probably dismayed at) the constant construction in and around the 91st Street – 85th Street area. I thought with this article I would give you an update, and help to explain why we are constantly “stuck in traffic”.
This is a phased project so here are some details that may assist you.
- There is a double barrel trunk sewer line being installed to deal with the drainage issues on the 30th Avenue green space area. It runs from the 30th Avenue green space, under 91st Street, along 23rd Avenue and down to 85th
- Due to some technical difficulties and unstable soil conditions, the portion of the project along 23rd Avenue is delayed (hopefully re-opening in the fall of 2015)
- 85th Street has been closed to one lane of single direction traffic heading Northbound only. Southbound is closed for safety and installation purposes.
Now by this article I am hoping to alleviate several concerns that have been expressed to my office.
- I understand the community leagues have been consulted (and I encourage everyone to join their community leagues – membership drives are usually in Spring). However some people do not feel that they have received enough information. Feel free at any time to call my office and we will assist in getting you answers.
- There have been concerns about access onto 85th Street by emergency vehicles should they be required by the Knottwood neighbourhood. I have spoken to Transportation operations and am assured that all emergency vehicles have sufficient access and egress from that location.
I understand and sympathize with all Edmontonians who are currently dealing with the construction issues around the City. It is not easy to handle. However in the case of the 23rd Avenue drainage construction, this is one project that should assist in preventing flooding situations similar to those the Mill Woods area has suffered throughout the last 10 years.
I wish all Ward 11 residents a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.